It’s November, which means it’s also time to bond with your family and friends and think about all the things in your life for which you’re most grateful. If you’ve been invited to spend Thanksgiving or Friendsgiving at a friend or family member’s home this year, don’t forget to show them your gratitude with a host gift. At Welke’s Florist, serving the Milwaukee area, our florists compiled a comprehensive list of fun, creative, and thoughtful gift ideas for all this year’s hosts and hostesses.
Great Gift Ideas for Any Host
A host or hostess gift is the politest way to thank your loved ones for their hospitality. You should always bring a gift — even if you’ve been invited to a potluck-style meal. It still takes a lot of hard work and effort to plan, organize, and prepare one’s home for guests. Show your appreciation with a thoughtful gift.
Similar to Thanksgiving, Friendsgiving involves a celebration with a nice sit-down dinner. The difference? It’s a friends-only event. Usually scheduled for a Wednesday before or after Thanksgiving, Friendsgiving is a less-formal celebration where fun is always on the menu. With this in mind, feel free to get extra creative with your hostess gift.
- Candles that smell like the best parts of the season — pie!
- Bath bombs to help your friend unwind after hosting
- A set of quirky fridge magnets
- Fuzzy socks to keep your friend’s toes warm all winter
- A game to play after dinner
- A set of kitschy oven mitts
- A new yoga matt to encourage a healthy holiday season
2. Thanksgiving with Your In-Laws
Family Gathering Centerpiece
Regardless of whether you’ll be meeting your partner’s family for the first time or have known your in-laws for years, you shouldn’t show up at their home empty-handed. They’re welcoming you into their house, family, and holiday traditions. Show your sincere gratitude with a thoughtfully chosen, tasteful gift.
- An elegant, candlelit floral centerpiece in autumn colors
- A box of gourmet macarons or chocolates
- High-quality serving utensils that are always necessary for Thanksgiving dinner
- A stylish cheeseboard with knives, spreaders, and cheese markers
- A nice bottle of wine with an aerator or a set or wine glass charms
- Whiskey stones with a bottle of locally distilled spirits
- An essential oil diffuser with a lovely seasonal scent
3. Thanksgiving with Your Family
Autumn Treasures Bouquet
If you plan to celebrate Thanksgiving with your family at your parents’ or grandparents’ house, you should still plan to bring a gift to show your gratitude and appreciation on the holiday. Choose something they’ll love or bring something everyone can enjoy on Thanksgiving Day.
- A beautiful floral arrangement in the fiery colors of autumn
- Hydrating hand soap to keep everyone well
- An activity for the kids, like a holiday craft that won’t make too big a mess
- A set of decorative kitchen towels
- Gourmet coffee to brew after dinner
- Sparkling cider so everyone has a fancy drink to toast
- New toys to occupy the household pets
You Can’t Go Wrong with This Host Gift
If you’re still not sure what type of gift your host or hostess would love, we recommend bringing a potted plant, floral arrangement, or centerpiece. These gifts never go out of style, and they’re appropriate for anyone. If you choose to bring flowers, we recommend purchasing an arrangement that’s already been put together. Freshly cut flowers need to have their stems trimmed and be put in water. Your host likely won’t have time to do these things while busy entertaining guests.
We welcome you to stop by a Welke’s Florist location for additional help choosing the perfect floral arrangement or centerpiece for your host or hostess. We’ll help you select something he or she is sure to love!